As seen in the January 3, 2005, COMPTEL Connection
Headquarters: Rochester, N.Y.
Q: Describe your organization
A: Headquartered in Rochester, N.Y., Fibertech Networks is a leader in building and operating fiber optic networks throughout mid-size cities in the Eastern and Central regions of the United States. The company has built metro-area networks strategically connecting local telco central offices, carrier hotels, data centers, office parks and other high traffic locations.
Fibertech has local metro networks operational in 16 mid-size cities including Providence, R.I.; Pittsburgh, Pa.; Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Binghamton, and Albany, N.Y.; Indianapolis, Ind.; Wilmington, Del.; Columbus, Ohio; Hartford, Bridgeport, Stamford and New Haven, Conn.; and Worcester and Springfield, Mass. The company will add Concord, N.H., Erie, Penn., and White Plains, N.Y., in early 2005 to its growing market footprint.
Founded in 2000 and privately held, Fibertech investors are led by Nautic Partners of Providence, R.I., and Banc of America Capital Investors of Charlotte, N.C.
Q: What do you attribute to your organization's longevity in the industry?
A: In building its business plan, Fibertech set out to capitalize on the demand for fiber connections with the explosion of data traffic that marked the rapid technological and Internet growth of the mid-1990s. The company sought out mid-sized cities where market demand was strong, but limited network facilities were available. President and CEO John K. Purcell's more than 30 years of experience with Frontier Corp., and Frank Chiaino's executive roles at Time Warner Cable for over 30 years, made them the ideal leadership team to identify and establish a presence in these Tier II cities.
Fibertech's growth stems from a diversified customer base. Over 65 percent of sales in the past two years were to enterprise customers, the company's business and educational accounts. The remaining 35 percent were sales to telecommunications carriers and wireless customers.
Q: Discuss some of your company's most recent achievements.
A: Since its launch, Fibertech has posted significant sales, operations and financial results, including building more than $110 million in network assets, selling over $260 million in total sales contracts, achieving a cash positive status in 2002 and 2003, and completion of the core network in its original market plan. Fibertech turned profitable in early 2004.
This year the company has achieved record revenue growth. For 2004, Fibertech sold more than $90 million in new sales contracts, a 100 percent increase over the company's year-end 2003 result of $45 million.
Q: Why is it important for your company to be a COMPTEL member?
A: Fibertech has been a COMPTEL member for more than four years and throughout that time, the association has provided us with significant networking opportunities at trade shows, leadership meetings, seminars and other events. COMPTEL also provides timely updates on the latest regulatory and industry news, and gives us access to top government officials to get our company's issues addressed and affect policy changes. At a time when regulatory and court rulings continue to challenge the heart of the competitive telecom industry, a healthy COMPTEL is a critically important resource.